This document provides instructions for installing SSL Certificates on Mac OS X Server 10.5.. If you are unable to use these instructions for your server, Symantec recommends that you contact either the vendor of your software or an organization that supports Apple products.
Step 1: Download and Install Symantec intermediate CA certificate:
- Download the Intermediate CA certificate from this link: INFO657
- Select the appropriate Intermediate CA certificate for your SSL Certificate type.
NOTE: To check which certificate type you have purchased, follow the steps from this link: SO13499
- Copy the Intermediate CA certificate and paste it on a a VI or Notepad.
- Make sure there are 5 dashes to either side of the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE and that no white spaces, extra line breaks or additional characters have been inadvertently added.
- Save the file as intermediate.crt
- Launch the Keychain Access application (/Applications/Utilities/Keychain Access)
- If the button at the lower left of the Keychain Access window is labeled "Show Keychains" then click the button to show the
- Select the "System" keychain.
- Select File > Import. Navigate to and select the intermediate.crt file that you downloaded in the steps above.
- Enter your password when prompted to authenticate to modify the keychain.
- Verify that the Symantec CA Certificate appears in the list.
- Close the Keychain Access application.
Step 2: Install the SSL Certificate
- Symantec will email you your certificate. If the certificate is an attachment (Cert.cer), you can use the file. If the certificate is in the
body of the email, copy and paste it into a text file (such as OriginalCert.txt) using Vi or Notepad.
- Do not use Microsoft Word or other word processing programs that may add characters. Confirm that there are no extra lines
or spaces in the file.
NOTE: You can also download your certificate from your Symantec Trust Center account by following the steps from this link: SO8061
- Highlight the server node in the SERVERS list.
- Select the Certificates button from the toolbar at the top of the right pane
- Select the item representing the certificate you have requested. Click the "Gear" button and then select
Add Signed or Renewed Certificate from Certificate Authority.
- Paste the text of your certificate into the field. Be sure to include the "-----BEGIN CERTIFICATE-----" and "-----END CERTIFICATE-----"
header and footer lines.
- Click OK.
- Click the Save button.
Step 3: Assign the Certificate to your Services
After installing your certificate as well as the intermediate CA certificate, you can assign this certificate to the desired services
(Web, Mail, iChat, Open Directory, etc.).
- In the appropriate settings pane for the desired service, select the certificate that you have just instaled
- Click the Save.
The screenshot below shows the Web service being configured to use this new certificate:
- To verify if your certificate is installed correctly, use the Symantec Installation Checker
For more information, see the Apple Support Center.