This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for Microsoft IIS 6.0. If this document can not be used with the server, RapidSSL recommends that Microsoft be contacted.
To generate the Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file, perform following steps:
- Under Administrative Tools, open Internet Services Manager.
- Right-click the site where the request will be generated and select Properties from the menu..
- Click the Directory Security tab.
- Click Server Certificate in the Secure communications section. If you have not used this option before the Edit button will not be active.
- Click Create a new certificate
- Click Prepare the request now, but send it later.
- Provide the friendly name for this certificate. This will help you identify the certificate if multiple certificates are installed. For the bit length, specify 2048. Click Next.
- Provide the Organization and the Organizational Unit information and click Next.
Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll. Example: XYZ Corporation
Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Provide the Common Name and click Next.
Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. Example www.bbtest.net
- Provide the Geographical Information for your Organization and Click Next.
Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA.
State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California.
Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Mountain View.
- Provide a file name and location to save your CSR. Click Next.
- Confirm the CSR Summary Information. Click Next > Finish.
- A CSR file has been generated. To copy and paste the information into the enrollment form, open the file with Notepad.
NOTE: Upon completing the Certificate Wizard, it is important to leave the request pending for successful certificate installation. Choosing the option to delete the pending request from the Certificate Wizard will prevent installation of the certificate that is returned.
- Proceed with the Enrolment.
During the verification process, RapidSSL may need to contact your organization. Be sure to provide an email address, phone number and fax number that will be checked and responded to quickly. These fields are not part of the certificate.