This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for Nortel SSL Accelerator. If you are unable to use these instructions for your server, Symantec recommends that you contact Nortel.
To generate a Key Pair and Certificate Signing Request, perform the steps bellow:
- Click SSL > Certificates > Generate > Request
- Select your newly created certificate identifier in the drop-down menu at the top
- Fill out the fields including the Common Name, Organization and Location information
- Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA.
- State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California.
- Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Berkeley.
- Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll.
- Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like "www.symantec.com" or "symantec.com".
NOTE: Symantec certificates can only be used on Web servers using the Common Name specified during enrollment. For example, a certificate for the domain "symantec.com" will receive a warning if accessing a site named "secure.symantec.com".
- Choose 2048 in the Key size field. This is most likely default
- Click Update
- Click Apply button on the top of the screen
- Click Apply Changes
- Verify your CSR
- Open the file in a text editor that does not add extra characters (Notepad or Vi are recommended).
- Copy and paste the information into the enrollment form when required
During the verification process, Symantec may need to contact your organization. Be sure to provide an email address,
phone number, and fax number that will be checked and responded to quickly. These fields are not part of the certificate.
Once the SSL certificate has been issued follow these steps to install it on the server.