This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for BEA Weblogic 6 & 7. If you are unable to use these instructions for your server, Symantec recommends that you contact the server vendor or the organization, which supports Weblogic.
NOTE: To generate a CSR, you will need to create a key pair for your server. These two items are a digital certificate key pair and cannot be separated. If you lose your public/private key file or your password and generate a new one, the SSL Certificate will no longer match.
To generate a Private Key and Certificate Signing Request, perform following steps:
NOTE: All certificates that will expire after December 2013 must have a 2048 bit key size.
- Start the Certificate Request Generator servlet.
NOTE:The .war file for the servlet is located in the following directory: \wlserver6.0\config\mydomain\applications
The .war file is automatically installed when the WebLogic Server is started.
- In a Web browser, enter the URL for the Certificate Request Generator servlet as follows:
- The components of this URL are defined as follows:
- hostname: The DNS name of the machine running WebLogic Server.
- port: The number of the port at which WebLogic Server listens for SSL connections. The default is 7002.
- The Certificate Request Generator servlet loads a form in the web browser.
- Complete the form displayed in the browser.
- Country Code: Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA.
- Organizational Unit: This field is optional; but can be used to help identify certificates registered to an organization. The Organizational Unit (OU) field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Company: If the company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, it must be spelled out or omitted in order to enroll.
Example: XYZ Corporation.
- Common Name: The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like "www.symantec.com" or "symantec.com".
NOTE: Symantec certificates can only be used on Web servers using the Common Name specified during enrollment. For example, a certificate for the domain "symantec.com" will receive a warning if accessing a site named "www.symantec.com" or "secure.symantec.com", because "www.symantec.com" and "secure.symantec.com" are different from "symantec.com".
- Locality or City: The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Berkeley.
- State or Province: Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California.
- Click the Generate Request button.
- The key pair and CSR has been created.
- Verify the CSR using the tool in this link.
- Open the file in a text editor that does not add extra characters (Notepad or Vi are recommended).
- Copy and paste the information into the enrollment form when required.
For more information refer to Weblogic Support
Once the SSL certificate has been issued, follow the steps from this link to install it on the server.