To generate a CSR, you will need to create a key pair for your server.
NOTE: GeoTrust recommends a key length of 2048 bit
If you are renewing or replacing a previous certificate with IIS, refer to the following solution ID for steps on creating a new CSR without removing the previous certificate SO6424.
Generate a certificate signing request (CSR) file
- Open the Internet Serivces Manager. Click Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Internet Services Manager.
- Open the Properties window by right-clicking on the name of the Web site you wish to secure.
- Click the Directory Security tab.
- Click Server Certificate in the Secure communications section. If you have not used this option before the Edit button will not be active.
- Select Create a new certificate
- Select Prepare the request now, but send it later. GeoTrust only accepts CSR’s through the enrollment process forms. We do not accept CSR's via email.
- Enter a Name for the certificate. Please note that this is not the Common Name of the certificate request. Select the bit length of 2048 for the certificate.
- Provide the Organization and the Organizational Unit information and click Next.
Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll.
Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Provide the Common Name and click Next.
Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like "www.geotrust.com" or "geotrust.com" ("*.geotrust.com" for a Wildcard).
- Provide the Geographical Information for your Organization and Click Next.
Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US or CA.
State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California.
Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name
- Provide a file name and location to save your CSR. You will need this CSR in order to enroll for your SSL certificate. Click Next.
- Confirm the CSR Summary Information. Click Next > Finish.
A CSR file has been generated. To copy and paste the information into the enrollment form, open the file in a text editor that does not add extra characters (Notepad or Vi are recommended).
The Wizard will prompt for the following X.509 attributes of the certificate.
Note: Upon completing the Certificate Wizard, it is important to leave the request pending for successful certificate installation. Choosing the option to delete the pending request from the Certificate Wizard will prevent installation of the certificate that is returned.
- Go to the GeoTrust Enrollment pages.
- To copy and paste the information into the enrollment form, open the file in a text editor that does not add extra characters (Notepad or Vi are recommended).
-----BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----
-----END NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----