Watch RapidSSL's Tutorial Videos for a more visual experience!
NOTE: If the video is not functioning as expected, please click here to go directly to the video source.
This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for Microsoft IIS7. If this document is not compatible with the server, RapidSSL recommends that Microsoft be contacted.
To generate the Certificate Signing Request CSR for Microsoft IIS 7.0, perform the following steps:
NOTE: All certificates that will expire after October 2013 must have a 2048 bit key size.
- Choose Start > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- In the IIS Manager, choose the Server Name
- In the Features pane (the middle pane), double-click the Server Certificates option located under the Security heading.
- To begin the process of requesting a new certificate, from the Actions pane, choose Create Certificate Request option as shown below:
- The first screen of the wizard asks for the Distinguished Name Properties. Details for each field are below.
• Organization (O): This field is the Organization requesting the certificate. It is not recommended to use special characters.
• Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organizational unit making the request.
• Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Eugene.
• State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: Oregon.
• Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US.
- Click Next to continue.
- The next screen of the wizard asks you to choose cryptography options. Please use the default, Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptography Provider.
- Select a key-bit length of 2048, this is the current industry standard. 4096 may also be used.
- Click Next to continue.
- Finally, provide a filename to which to save the certificate request. You will need the contents of this file in the next step, so make sure you know where to find it. To change the location of where you wish to save the CSR, select the box with the 3 periods next to the file name.
- Proceed with Enrollment.
During the verification process, RapidSSL may need to contact your organization. Be sure to provide an email address, phone number and fax number that will be checked and responded to quickly. These fields are not part of the certificate.
Once the certificate has been issued, refer to this link for installation instructions.