To configure a Class 1 Digital ID, perform the following steps:
A: Access the Trust Center
1. Open Outlook > Click File.
2. On the left hand set of options, click Options.
3. A window entitled Outlook Options will appear. On the left-hand pane, click Trust Center
4. The right side of the window will change. Click Trust Center Settings button on the bottom right hand side.
5. A window named Trust Center will appear. On the left hand side you should see selectable options. Click E-mail Security. Upon selecting E-mail Security, you should see a drop down field next to Default Setting. Click Settings next to this field.
6. A new window will appear named Change Security Settings. In this window, two options to Choose will be presented. One under the Certificates and another under Algorithms section.
B: Selecting your Signing Certificate
1. In the Certificates and Algorithms section of the Change Security Settings window, you should see the heading Signing Certificate. Click Choose directly to the right of this heading. The hash algorithm should be SHA1.
2. A new window will appear, named Select Certificate. In this window, you will choose the Digital Certificate you would like to sign with from a list of certificates installed on this computer.
3. When you have selected the Digital Certificate, click OK
Note: If you are unsure which certificate to choose, you can always highlight a certificate and click View Certificate to see the details for that certificate.
C: Selecting your Encryption Certificate
1. In the Certificates and Algorithms section of the Change Security Settings window, you should see the heading Encryption Certificate. Click Choose directly right of this heading.
2. A new window will appear named Select Certificate. In this window, you will choose the Digital Certificate you would use for encryption of emails from a list of certificates installed on this computer. For the encryption certificate change the hash algorithm to 3DES.
3. When you have selected the certificate, click OK.
To send signed and encrypted emails using Outlook:
1. When you have an email open, select the Options tab
2. In the Permission section, directly underneath the top tabs, you should see two buttons named Sign and Encrypt.
3. Click Sign to depress it to digitally sign this email.
4. Click Encrypt to depress it to encrypt this email.
Note: You must have the recipients public key in order to encrypt an email.
5. Click both Sign and Encrypt to digitally sign and encrypt the message.
6. After you have finished composing the new email, or the reply/forward, click Send