This document provides instructions for installing RapidSSL certificates into IIS 6.0. If this document can not be used within the environment, RapidSSL recommends contacting an organization that supports IIS 6.0
As of 1/1/2016 all public SSL certificates must be issued as SHA-256 with at least a 2048 bit key length. Windows Server 2003 may not be able to support this standard without a hotfix.
Step 1: Obtain the RapidSSL SSL certificate.
- Download RapidSSL Certificate. Please use any version of IIS as the server platform when downloading. All versions of IIS will use the same certificate format.
Step 2: Installing the RapidSSL SSL Certificate into IIS 6
- Open the Internet Services Manager (IIS):
- Click Start
- Select All Programs
- Select Administrative Tools
- Choose Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- Under Web Sites, right-click your web site and select Properties.
- Click the Directory Security tab.
- Under Secure Communications, click Server Certificate
- The Web Site Certificate Wizard will open, click Next.
- Choose Process the Pending Request and Install the Certificate, then click Next.
Note: The pending request must match the response file. If the pending request was deleted in error, a new CSR must be generated and replace this certificate. To generate a new Certificate Signing Request (CSR) on IIS 6 server, refer to this article. To reissue a RapidSSL certificate, refer to this article.
- Select the location of the certificate response file, and then click Next.
- Read the summary screen to be sure that you are processing the correct certificate and then click Next.
- A confirmation screen will display, click Next.
- Assign the site an SSL port (443 by default).
- Stop and start the IIS service prior to any testing.
Note: In some cases the changes may not take place after restarting IIS Services and a re-boot is needed.
Step 3: Verify certificate installation
- To verify the certificate installation, use the RapidSSL CryptoReport