To install a Thawte SSL Certificate in Microsoft IIS 5.0 follow the steps below:
Step 1: Download the Thawte SSL Certificate:
- Certificate Center Enterprise
The certificate must be downloaded in PKCS#7 format, and can be saved by copying and pasting the certificate text into a plain text editor such as Notepad or Vi. Please be sure to include the header and footer as well as the surrounding dashes. Do not use Microsoft Word or other word processing programs that may add characters. Confirm that there are no extra lines or spaces in the file. Save your certificate with a .p7b extension.
Note: If the PKCS7 format is not used, the Intermediate CA certificates MUST be installed separately using this steps
Important: IIS 5 support SHA1 certificates only.
Step 2: Install SSL certificate
- Open the Internet Services Manager (IIS): Click Start > All Programs > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manger
- Under Web Sites, right-click your web site and select Properties
- Click the Directory Security tab
- Under Secure Communications, click Server Certificate
- The Web Site Certificate Wizard will open, click Next
- Choose Process the Pending Request and Install the Certificate, then click Next
Important: The pending request must match the response file. If you deleted the pending request in error you must generate a new CSR and replace this certificate.
- Select the location of the certificate response file, and then click Next
Note: By default the wizard will look for a ".cer" file. Click the drop-down arrow next to File Types, and select All Files. Then Browse to the location where the certificate.p7b file was saved.
- Select the SSL Port. The default port is 443
- Read the summary screen to be sure that you are processing the correct certificate and then click Next
- At the confirmation screen, verify the information and click Next
Step 3: Verify certificate installation
- Stop and start your Web server prior to any testing
Note: In some cases the changes may not take place after restarting IIS Services and a re-boot is needed.
- To verify if your certificate is installed correctly, use the Thawte Installation Checker
If you do not specify an IP address when installing your SSL Certificate, the same certificate will be used for all virtual servers created on the system.
If you are hosting multiple sites on a single server, you can specify that the certificate only be used for a particular server IP address.