Follow the instructions below to install the certificate on a Tomcat Server
Step 1: Download your Thawte certificate in PKCS#7 format
- You will receive an email when your certificate is issued.
- Retail Clients: Download your certificate in PKCS#7 format, refer to solution SO13187
- Reseller Clients: Download your certificate in PKCS#7 format, refer to solution SO17717
- Copy and Paste your Thawte certificate to Notepad and save as a cert.p7b
Step 2: Install your certificate and restart
- Import the Certificate into the Java keystore using the following keytool command:
keytool -import -alias tomcat -trustcacerts -file cert.p7b -keystore [keystorename]
Alternate installation instructions if above errors with "keytool error: certificatesexception: Input not an X.509 certificate" occur.
- Follow Step 1 by downloading an X.509 certificate file format.
- Download the Intermediate certificate, refer to article. INFO1384.
- Select the Intermediate CA link based on your certificate product type. Once you have the SSL certificate and Intermediate CA certificate file, begin the import process.
Note: It is imperative the installation of Intermediate CA and SSL certificate on the keystore is followed below.
- Import the Intermediate certificate (e.g., use alias: intermediate)
keytool -import -alias intermediate -trustcacerts -file intermediate_file_name -keystore [keystorename]
- Import the SSL certificate (Use the same alias name based on the created keystore and submitted CSR from Thawte)
keytool -import -alias [your_alias_name] -trustcacerts -file X.509_file_name -keystore [keystorename]
Note: Tomcat keeps its configuration information in the server.xml file. Configure Tomcat to reference the correct keystore and keystore password as shown in the following solution: SO2144
Tomcat runs SSL over port 8443. Make sure that this port is enabled on the Tomcat server and any firewalls/proxies this server may lie behind.
For additional trouble shooting steps regarding "keytool error: java.lang.Exception: Input not an X.509 certificate" refer to solution SO7108