Follow the instructions below to install the certificate on a Tomcat Server
Step 1: Download your Thawte certificate in PKCS#7 format
- Download your certificate from the unique secure link we provide your technical contact via order fulfillment email.
- The ZIP file you download contain the SSL and Intermediate CA certificate in PKCS#7 file (i.e. ssl_certificate.p7b).
- Unzip the files onto the server where you will install the certificate.
- Alternatively, you can also download the certificate from your account:
Step 2: Install your certificate
- Import the certificate into the Java keystore using the following keytool command:
keytool -import -alias [enter_alias_name] -trustcacerts -file cert.p7b -keystore [enter_keystore_name]
Note: The alias name and keystore name in this command must be the same as the alias name and keystore name
used during the generation of the private key and CSR.
Note: During the import you might get following error: Error: "java.lang.Exception: Input not an X.509 certificate"
Click here to troubleshoot this error message.
Alternate installation instruction if above error with "keytool error: certificatessxception: Input not an X.509 certificate" occur.
- Follow Step 1 by downloading an X.509 certificate file format.
- Download the Intermediate certificate
- Select the Intermediate CA link based on your certificate product type. Once you have the SSL certificate & Intermediate CA certificate file, begin the import process.
Note: It is imperative the installation of Intermediate CA and SSL certificate on the keystore is followed below.
- Import the Intermediate certificate (e.g., use alias: intermediate)
keytool -import -alias intermediate -trustcacerts -file intermediate_file_name -keystore [enter_keystore_name]
- Import the SSL certificate (Use the same alias name based on the created keystore and submitted CSR from Thawte)
keytool -import -alias [enter_alias_name] -trustcacerts -file X.509_file_name -keystore [enter_keystore_name]
Step 3: Confirm the contents of the keystore
Enter the following command to list the contents of the keystore:
keytool -list -v -keystore your_keystore_filename > output_filename.txt
View the contents of the output file.
The SSL certificate is imported into the alias with the "Entry Type" of PrivateKeyEntry or KeyEntry. If not, please import the certificate into the Private Key alias.
Step 4: Configure Tomcat server
- Configure Tomcat to reference the correct keystore and keystore password.
Note: Tomcat keeps its configuration information in the server.xml file.
Note: Tomcat runs SSL over port 8443. Make sure that this port is enabled on the Tomcat server and any firewalls/proxies this server may lie behind.
Step 5: Verify the Certificate Installation
To verify if your certificate is installed correctly, use the Thawte Installation Checker
See the Tomcat website for more information.