|This solution contains two Methods to install your SSL Certificate:
Method 1: Installing the certificate received via e-mail.
Method 2 (recommended): Installing the certificate downloaded from the RapidSSL User Portal.
Method 1: Download and Install SSL certificate sent via e-mail
Step 1: Obtain the SSL certificate sent via email:
1. The RapidSSL certificate will be sent by email.
2. Copy the certificate imbedded in the body of the email and paste it into a text file
using Vi or Notepad.
The text file should look like:
3. Make sure there are 5 dashes to either side of the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE and
that no white spaces, extra line breaks or additional characters have been inadvertently added.
4. Save the certificate filename with the .cer extension. For example: public.cer
NOTE: If you selected Microsoft IIS 5.0 or above during enrollment,
continue with the installation from here.
If you are not sure which server software was selected during the enrolment,
proceed with Step 2 bellow.
1. Open Internet Services Manager, or the custom MMC containing the
Internet Information Services snap-in.
2. Expand Internet Information Services (if needed) and browse to the Web site you have
a pending certificate request on.
3. Right-click on the Temporary site that was used to generate the key and then click Properties.
4. Select the Directory Security tab.
5. Under the Secure Communications section, click Server Certificate.
6. On the Web Site Certificate Wizard, click Next.
7. Choose Process the Pending Request and Install the Certificate. Click Next.
8. Type in the location of the certificate response file (or browse to the file), and then click Next.
9. Read the summary screen to be sure that the correct certificate is being processed
10. Click Next.
11. Click Finish to exit the Wizard.
Step 3: Applying the certificate to the production web site
1. Right-click on the production site and select Properties.
2. Select the Directory Security tab.
3. Under the Secure Communications section, click Server Certificate.
4. On the Web Site Certificate Wizard, click Next.
5. Select Replace the current certificate and click Next.
6. Select the certificate from the list that was installed on the temporary site and click Finish.
7. Stop and Start the Web server prior to any testing.
8. Verify installation uising RapidSSL Installation Checker
For more information, refer to the following Microsoft KB Article