To generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) file using Apple Mac OS X Lion server, perform the following steps:
- Select the server under Hardware in the Server app sidebar
- Click Settings > click the Edit button to the right of SSL Cert
- Choose Manage Certificate sheet, select the self-signed certificate you want to generate the CSR
- Choose Generate Certificate Signing Request (CSR) from the Action menu
Enter the Certificate Information:
- Email Address - An email address of the responsible party for certificates
- Common Name - The fully-qualified domain name for which you plan to use your certificate (e.g., - "www.example.com").
- Organization - The full legal name of your organization. The listed organization must be the legal registrant of the domain name in the certificate request.
- Organizational Unit (Optional) - Enter the name of a business unit or group. If applicable, you may enter the DBA (doing business as) name in this field.
- City (Locality) - Name of the city in which your organization is registered/located. Please spell out the name of the city. Note: Do not abbreviate.
- State/Province - Name of state or province where your organization is located. Please enter the full name. Note: Do not abbreviate.
- Country - The two-letter International Organization for Standardization (ISO) format country code for the country in which your organization is legally registered.
- Save the CSR file
For additional information please see the following Apple Support article: