This document provides instructions for installing SSL Certificates. If you are unable to use these instructions for your server, RapidSSL recommends that you contact either the vendor of your software or an organization that supports Stronghold.
Step 1: Download the RapidSSL Intermediate CA Certificate
- Download the RapidSSL intermediate CA certificate.
- Paste the file to a Notepad document.
NOTE: Make sure there are 5 dashes to either side of the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE and that no white spaces, extra line breaks or additional characters have been inadvertently added.
- Save the file as Intermediate.txt
Step 2: Obtain the RapidSSL Certificate
- The RapidSSL certificate will be sent by email.
- Copy the certificate imbedded in the body of the email and paste it into a text file using Vi or Notepad.
The text file should look like:
- Make sure there are 5 dashes to either side of the BEGIN CERTIFICATE and END CERTIFICATE and that no white spaces, extra line breaks or additional characters have been inadvertently added.
NOTE: The certificate can be also downloaded from the RapidSSL User Portal. Please select X.509 as a certificate format and copy only the End Entity Certificate.
- Save certificate filename with the .txt or .crt extension. For example: public.txt or public.crt
Step 3: Install the SSL Certificate
- Run getca and specify both the name of the server that owns the certificate and the name of the temporary certificate file.
For example: # getca hostname /tmp/<temp-file-name>
- This saves the SSL Certificate to the file SSLTOP/certs/hostname.cert
- Remove the temporary file.
For example: # rm/tmp/<temp-file-name>
- Restart the server.
- Verify that the certificate is installed correctly with the GeoTrust Certificate Installation Checker.
For more information, refer to the Stronghold Suport Website.