To generate a CSR in iPlanet 6.x follow the instructions below:
Note: A key length of 1024 bit is the default, but Thawte requires the use of a minimum 2048 bit key.
- Launch the Administration HTML interface: Select Start > Programs > iPlanet Web Server > Administer Web Server.
- Select the server instance you wish to administer by selecting the correct server name from the drop down list.
- Select Manage.
- Select the Security tab.
- Select 'Create Database' from the menu options available in the left frame.
- Supply a password for your new Trust Database.
- Supply your password again for verification.
Note: It is very important that you remember this password. If you forget it, you will not be able to gain access to your Private Key.
- Select 'OK' to continue
- Select 'OK' to complete Trust Database creation.
- Select 'Request a Certificate' from the menu options available in the left frame to generate your Certificate Signing Request.
- Select the 'New Certificate' radio button.
- Select the 'CA Email address' radio button, and supply your own email address in the space provided.
- Supply the password for your Key pair File in the space provided.
- Supply your name, telephone number, and email address in the spaces provided.
Important: if the Web server name does not match the common name in the certificate, some browsers will refuse to establish a secure connection with your site.
Do not specify the protocol (http://), any port numbers or pathnames in the Common Name (CN).
Do not use wildcards such as * or ?.
- Enter the distinguished name (DN) of your server, keeping the following example in mind:
"CN" - Common Name = www.domain.com (this is the URL of your website)
"O" - Organization = Company Name Pty Ltd
"OU" - Organizational Unit = Internet Department
"L" - Locality = Cape Town
"St" - State/Province = Western Cape
"C" - Country/Region = ZA
- Select 'OK' once you have entered the necessary information.
- Copy the Certificate Signing Request (including the "-----BEGIN NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----" and "-----END NEW CERTIFICATE REQUEST-----" lines) and paste into a text document for later retrieval.
You have successfully created your Private Key and Certificate Signing Request (CSR).
For instructions to install your Thawte certificate, go to the following solution: SO3036