This document provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for Zimbra server. If you are unable to use these instructions for your server, Symantec recommends that you contact Zimbra vendor.
NOTE: To generate a CSR, you will need to create a key pair for your server. These two items are a digital certificate key pair and cannot be separated. If you lose your public/private key file or your password and generate a new one, your SSL Certificate will no longer match.
To generate a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) on Zimbra 5.0.x, 6.0.x, & 7.0.x server, follow one of the methods bellow:
Method 1: Generate CSR using the command line interface:
- Log in as root.
- Run the following zmcertmgr command to generate a CSR.
- The following fields are required when generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR)
- Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US
- State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: California
- Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name
- Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll.
- Organizational Unit (OU): This field is optional; but can be used to help identify certificates registered to an organization. The Organizational Unit (OU) field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. It looks like "www.symantec.com" or "symantec.com".
For more information on Zimbra server using CLI commands, please click here.
Method 2 Generate CSR through Zimbra Admin Console
- Open a browser window and create CSR through Zimbra Admin Console.
- Login to the Admin Console and click Certificates
- Click Install Certificate
- Select Target Server
- Select Generate the CSR for the Commercial Certificate Authorizer
- Create the CSR, then download and save the CSR file.
Once have created the CSR, Verify your CSR
Once the certificate has been issued, follow the steps from this link to install the certificate on your server: SO20541