This document uses an ASA 5510 that runs software version 8.0(2) and ASDM version 6.0(2) and provides instructions for generating a Certificate Signing Request (CSR) for Cisco ASA 5510. If this document can not be used within the environment, RapidSSL recommends contacting Cisco.
Step 1: Generate a key pair
- Within ASDM, click Configuration > Device Management
- Click Certificate Management > Identity Certificates > Add > Add a new identity certificate
- Click New > Enter new key pair name
- Enter a unique key pair name for the certificate
- Select the key size of at least 2048
- Click Generate Now
Step 2: Generate a certificate signing request (CSR) file
- To enter certificate information, click Select
- From the drop-down list select the following attributes > Enter Value > click Add
- The following fields are required:
- Country Name (C): Use the two-letter code without punctuation for country, for example: US
- State or Province (S): Spell out the state completely; do not abbreviate the state or province name, for example: Oregon
- Locality or City (L): The Locality field is the city or town name, for example: Eugene
- Organization (O): If your company or department has an &, @, or any other symbol using the shift key in its name, you must spell out the symbol or omit it to enroll, for example: XY & Z Corporation would be XYZ Corportation or XY and Z Corportation.
- Organizational Unit (OU): This field is the name of the department or organization unit making the request.
- Common Name (CN): The Common Name is the Host + Domain Name. For example, www.bbtest.net
- Once the appropriate values are added, click OK > Advanced
- In the FQDN field, enter the FQDN that will be used to access the device from the Internet:
- Click OK > Add Certificate > Browse
- Choose a location where to save the request file
- Proceed with Enrolment.
Once the SSL certificate has been issued, refer to this link for installation instructions.