To Import a backup of the SSL Certificate and Private Key file from .pfx file follow the instructions below:
Step 1: Import PKCS#12 file
- Create a Microsoft Management Console (MMC) snap-in for managing certificates, as described in solution SO6127.
NOTE: You must use the Computer Account when creating the Snap-in
- Open the Microsoft Management Console (MMC).
- On the left pane, click Certificates.
- On the right pane, double-click Personal.
- On the right pane, right-click Certificates and select All Tasks > Import (this opens the Certificate Import Wizard). Click Next.
- Browse to the PKCS#12 (.pfx) file that you want to import and click Next.
- Enter the password used to secure the certificate for export and then click OK.
- To export the certificate again from this computer, select Mark the key as exportable.
- Select the option Automatically select the certificate store based on the type of certificate. (This ensures all the certificates in the certification path (Root, Intermediate, and Server) are stored in the proper place. Problems may occur if a certificate is placed in the wrong store.) Click Next.
- Click Finish. A message confirms successful import. Click OK.
Step 2: Assign/ Bind the Certificate to the Web Site
- For Microsoft IIS 6.0 follow the steps from this link to assign the SSL Certificate to your web site: SO22175
- For Microsoft IIS 7.0 and 7.5 follow the steps from this link to bind the SSL Certificate to your web site: SO14335
- For Microsoft IIS 8.0 follow the steps from this link to bind the SSL Certificate to your web site: SO18856