In some situations, you may want to export or back up a server certificate. For example, to store a back up copy of your private and public keys, or if you are moving (migrating) a Web site to another server.
- Open the Certificates (Local Computer) snap-in you added > select Personal > Certificates
- Right-click certificate name > select All Tasks > Export.
- The Certificate Export Wizard opens > click Next
- Select Yes, export the private key > click Next
- Select Personal Information Exchange
- Ensure to check only Include all certificates in the certificate path if possible > click Next
- Enter and confirm a password > click Next
- Choose a file name and location for the export file > click Next
- Click Finish
Note: RapidSSL strongly recommends that you save the file to a diskette or CD. If you saved the file to a local disk, then the PFX file is copied when the disk is backed up. This may compromise security.