Generate a CSR on Microsoft IIS 7.0
Thawte now offers the Thawte SSL Assistant to make it easy to generate a CSR and install a certificate for Microsoft IIS 7.0 servers running .NET 2.0 or higher.
For Microsoft WLAN environments the certificate can be requested in IIS and moved to Microsoft IAS.
Watch Thawte's Tutorial Videos for a more visual experience!
Note: If you are unable to view the video, please click here to go directly to the video source.
To generate a CSR for Microsoft IIS 7.0, perform the following steps:
- Click Start > Administrative Tools > Internet Information Services (IIS) Manager
- In the IIS Manager, choose your server name
- In the Features pane (the middle pane), double-click the Server Certificates located under the Security heading
- You will notice two default certificates already installed on this server. To begin the process of requesting a new certificate, from the Actions pane, click Create Certificate Request...
- The first screen of the wizard asks for details regarding the new site. The common name should match the fully-qualified domain name for the site. Otherwise, provide information about your site, making sure to spell out the name of your state and locality.
- Click Next to continue
- The next screen of the wizard asks you to choose cryptography options. The default, Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptography Provider is correct. Select 2048 for the bit length.
- Click Next
- Finally, provide a filename to which to save the certificate request. You will need the contents of this file in the next step, so make sure you know where to find it.