Verified Mark Certificates (VMCs) are a critical step in a series of security measures that help strengthen email security, build trust in the inbox, and help users associate a brand logo with the active security check provided by DMARC. Verifying the identity of the requestor of the VMC and registration of the logo decreases the likelihood of VMCs being used to spoof your brand.
The additional validation requirements for VMC may take anywhere from an additional day to more than a week to complete. As a result of the additional validation time, we encourage users to monitor email and voicemail for updates from our validation team.
The validation process for a VMC builds on the steps used for Extended Validations certificates, adding new steps to the validation process as required by the VMC specification section 3.2.
The VMC validation process will verify the following:
Validating your organization’s SVG Logo
- Your logo must be properly formatted and match your registered trademark (design mark).
- For more on preparing your logo see this post “Getting Ready for BIMI: Prep Your Logo.”
- This step goes rather quickly when prepared in advance.
Verifying the Trademark
- You will be asked to provide us with the Registered Mark's trademark registration number and the name of the Trademark Office that granted the trademark registration.
- For information on currently approved Trademark offices see “Qualifying for a VMC – How to Trademark Your Logo.”
- If your mark is already registered, this step will go quickly. If your mark is not trademarked you’ll want to do that before applying for a VMC.
Verifying the identity of the individual submitting the request
The individual who submits the request will go through an in-depth personal verification process that includes the following basic requirements:
- EV Validation HR call
- Individual identity verification that can completed with either of the following:
- With a DigiCert Agent
- A web call meeting with a DigiCert Agent will take place. It is important to note that the assigned individual will be required to present their government issued photo ID during the web call. The ID must be in color (where applicable), include a legible picture, and confirm their name as well as date of birth.
- With a Notary to sign a VMC Declaration
- The notary is selected by DigiCert. As notary processes vary by location, the specification requires an in-person meeting with a notary to complete this step.